What are cookies?
Cookies are made of portions of code (text files or pieces of data) sent from a server to a web browser by users, from such web browser automatically stored in the users’ computer and sent automatically back to the server on every occasion or at a later access to the website.
A cookie typically contains the name of the website from which the cookie has come, the lifetime of the cookie (that is, how long it will remain on the users’ equipment) and a value, which is usually a randomly generated unique number. At every subsequent visit cookies are sent back to the website they arise from (first-party cookies) or to another website recognizing them (third-party cookies). Cookies are useful since they allow a website to recognize the users’ equipment and have different purposes, such as, enabling to browse the web pages efficiently, remembering preferred websites and, generally speaking, improving the browsing experience. They also contribute to ensure that advertising contents, which are displayed online, are more focused to users and to their personal interests.
If users decide to disable cookies, their browsing experience could be influenced and/or limited, for example they would not be able to visit specific sections of a website or could not get customized information when visiting websites.
How cookies work? How to delete cookies?
Working methods, as well as options to limit or block cookies, can be controlled by changing browser settings. Most web browsers are initially set to accept cookies automatically, but users can modify these settings to block cookies or to be warned each time cookies are sent to their equipment. There are many ways to manage cookies, therefore users need to refer to instructions or to help screens of their web browser in order to check how to adjust or change its settings. Users can change predefined settings and disable cookies (i.e. block them once and for all), by setting the highest level of protection.
Shown below are links to handle cookies of the following browsers:
- Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/it-it/windows7/block-enable-or-allow-cookies
- Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11913
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=it-IT&hlrm=fr&hlrm=en
- Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/it-IT/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
If users employ different types of equipment to view and access the websites (i.e. computers, smartphones, tablets, etc.), they need to make sure of every browser to be set on every equipment as reflecting their own preferences about cookies. To delete cookies from the web browser of their own smartphone/tablet, they need to refer to owners’ manuals pertaining to the equipment.
Which types of cookies are used by Cantene and what are they used for?
These cookies are strictly necessary to allow:
- browsing and enjoying the use of the website (i.e. enabling to buy products or authenticate to access to the reserved areas, “NID or session cookies”);
- collecting aggregated data on the number of users and on how the website is being used by visitors (“analytical cookies”);
- browsing as a function of a series of selected criteria (i.e. language, selected products to be purchased, “functionality cookies”) to improve the service provided to users.
These cookies are directly installed by Cantene S.r.l. and since they are not used for purposes other than those described above, their installation does not require your consent.